Group Discussion is a prevalent selection technique used during MBA admissions and campus recruitments. During a group discussion, the number of candidates differs from 5 to 15. The panel gives a particular topic to the candidates based on which they need to discuss by following a specific set of rules. In a well-conducted group discussion, the candidates provide logical reasoning and various insights based on the given topic. A panel judges the group discussion’s quality and interacts with the participants. The panel provides the topic and instructs the group to stop the discussion if they waste time.
Types of Group Discussion
Group discussions can be classified based on the group discussion topics.
Factual – It is considered the most common group discussion for MBA students. During the group discussion topics of MBA students, the topics are given to test the candidate’s knowledge of business and economics. The provided topics can be specific or broad. Generally, it becomes easier for candidates to discuss general topics as it gives more space for interpretation than specific topics. But, it can be an advantage for candidates who are well updated with the specific topic.
Abstract – In a group discussion, abstract topics are easier and more complex a candidate can get. It is considered easiest because there is no need for preparation, and also, it is complex because one needs to have the ability to think on their foot. Generally, candidates are scared of these topics because of their unpredictability.
Case Study – Compared to factual and abstract general discussion topics, case study discussion is quite different. In the case study, a candidate is provided with a case to discuss and examine. These case studies, aimed to examine the group discussion, are qualitative and quantitative. This type of group discussion is challenging and tricky because the candidate needs to analyse the case and ensure that their insights are not colliding with others.
How to Perform Well in Group Discussion
Below we have mentioned tips and tricks to do well in a group discussion because it matters a lot for an MBA aspirant:
- Firstly, the candidate should behave like a professional and should not raise their voice to prove their point.
- During a group discussion, one should listen to the points put across by other participants and take references from them while making their points. The mentioned point can be for or against the discussion. By doing so, you make a positive impact on the moderator. The moderator will get to know that you are paying attention to the point of the other and providing your insights to the other candidates.
- Don’t get into a fight during a group discussion unless and until you are well-prepared and confident about the provided topic. In a group discussion, the candidate should ensure to put across valid points during regular intervals to be visible to the moderator.
- Whatever might be the circumstances, keep calm and don’t lose your temper. Companies and business schools will appreciate the quality of patience and calmness. They understand that the candidate will not lose temper in a stressful situation and can handle the situation smartly.
- In a group discussion, non-verbal communication has equal importance as verbal communication. So, when you are in a group discussion, be attentive and listen to what others say and inculcate in your speeches. It shows your seriousness and dedication.
- In a group discussion, quality is more appreciated than quantity. So, speaking too much during a group discussion can be disadvantageous if you annoy the moderators. It’s better to put across your point occasionally with analytical insights than stating facts.
So, in conclusion, we can say that Group Discussion is a crucial part of MBA preparation. So, if you are planning for CAT 2022, then practise group discussions with your family or friends.